Hot and Cold Aisle Data Centre Containment Strategies
With recent studies indicating that as much as 50 percent of airflow within typical data centres is being wasted, bypassing the equipment it is meant to be cooling and going directly back to the CRAC units, the role played by aisle containment in the modern data centre is a massive and vital one.
Whether you choose to utilize hot aisle or cold aisle containment, introducing an aisle containment system prevents the mixing of hot and cold air, and optimizes the performance of your data centre's equipment which increases your facility's overall energy efficiency. This then reduces hot spots and maximizes the cooling potential of a data centre's existing air conditioning equipment – which can eliminate or postpone the need for additional CRAC units as server loads continue to increase.
Key Benefits of Aisle Containment:
- Increased energy efficiency
- Reduction of bypass airflow rate
- Increased cooling efficiency as high as 90 percent
- Allows for an increase in rack population and overall server load
- Extends lifespan of facility equipment